Copyright: You can redistribute this document as you wish, as long as you mention the author (me).
If you have something intelligent to add, do not hesitate to post it.
Author: Stefan Schindewolf <pendragon.uther_at_gmx.de>
Laptop: IBM Thinkpad 600E
Distribution: FreeBSD 4.7
What works: X, Power Management, Sound, Serial
What does not work: IrDA
1) Do a standard installation as described in the FreeBSD Handbook
2) Recompile your kernel. Working config ACTUAL is attached. The follwing lines are important for the CS4232 soundcard.
device snd device css0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 5 drq 1 device mpu0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 0
The rest of the GENERIC Settings should work fine.
3) A working XF86Config is attached. Important is
Driver "neomagic" VideoRam 2048 HorizSync 31.5 - 57.0 Load "dbe"
/etc/ttys so that it contains:
ttyv6 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm off secure
4) The rc.conf should include:
apm_enable="YES" apmd_enable="YES" moused_enable="YES" usbd_enable="YES" pccard_enable="YES" pccard_ifconfig="inet som.eip.add.res netmask som.ene.tma.sk_" pccard_mem="DEFAULT" pccardd_flags=" -i 10"
5) Tweak the system (favourite shell, desktop environment, etc.)
6) To get the serial port working, you will have to activate it from DOS.
dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/fd0)
7) Congrats, you are now a bsd ... brother ;-)